If you ever need to do some making on a computer, there are many tools to choose from. Some popular tools may cost hundreds of dollars, keeping many people from tinkering and experimenting.
Here we have a list of software tools that can be used for free, even for commercial use. Most have a living community of users adding features and improving their experience. Many of these tools are as good as, or better than the commercial and professional tools they can replace.
Visit these open source communities, download the tools, and get hacking!
- Blender – An incredible 3D modeling program with an ever growing set of features.
- Pitivi – A video editor (Linux only)
- Gimp – Obviously, the Photoshop alternative
- Krita – A digital paint program for use with pen tablets
- Musescore – Music notation
- LMMS – A great music sequencer
- FreeCAD – Parametric modeling CAD, similar to SolidWorks or ProE
- OpenSCAD – Scripting based CAD
- KiCad – Full featured PCB and Circut designer, alternitive to Eagle